Monday, October 27, 2008

Continuing with Fall Clean-Up Ideas


With fall in full-swing, Jason and I are busy cleaning up our gardens and preparing them for winter. The idea that I want to share today is a short and easy one.

Behind our property, is a row of tall cottonwood trees. In the fall, they drop all of their leaves...right into our backyard! Raking them up is no fun, but we've recently learned how to use them to our benefit.

Instead of raking up the piles of leaves and disposing of them...we just rake them right into the vegetable garden. The fallen leaves provide protection from winter's harsh weather and come spring, we'll just move the leaves aside and tuck them around new plant growth to prevent weeds and to retain moisture. The leaves will eventually break down and nourish the soil.

What are you doing to prepare your yard for winter? I'd love to hear any tips you might like to share! Feel free to leave your comments.




A super easy idea that makes a big difference!

2 comments:

LuckyShopper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LuckyShopper said...

Hi Dana! I remember you emailing me about your new blog & I'm so glad that I've finally had the chance to check it out :) Very interesting and very different from your past blogs!

Anyways, you talking about FALL really makes me wish we had all four seasons here in Hawaii :( Well, maybe three seasons, I could do without the SNOW! hahahaha! I'm glad you got my letter & I can't wait to hear back from you.. I remember you writing in your email that you've got a bunch of updates for me!!! Can't wait to hear it all!