Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WFMW: Extending the Life of Jack-O-Lanterns


I am pleased to say that Fall has arrived here in the Midwest! It’s definitely my favorite time of year, as I enjoy cooler temperatures, bright yellow mums…and pumpkin carving!

It may not always look like it, but a lot of time and effort goes into carving my pumpkins. (My pumpkins usually need extensive repair done to them before they’re ready to light up the front porch!) You can imagine my disappointment then, when just days later, my jack-o-lantern is showing signs of mold and shriveling. Thankfully, a friend gave me a tip to help extend the life of my jack-o-lanterns.

Try spraying your finished jack-o-lantern with a diluted bleach solution to prevent mold. Then, to keep the cut edges from getting that shriveled-look, apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly.

Sounds easy enough! Enjoying my pumpkin display longer is what works for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the terrific suggestion. I am also sad when the carved artwork begins to decay!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Great idea...never heard of that before!
-Sandy Toes

Kara said...

Thanks, now I can carve my pumpkins earlier:)

LunaMoonbeam said...

What a great idea!!!!

I plan on carving my pumpkins ON Halloween...and then hacking them to bits as soon as the munchkin goes to bed so I can cook them up for Pumpkin Bread this Christmas. :-) Gruesome...but OH so tasty.