Tuesday, October 14, 2008

WFMW: Cleaning Ceiling Fans


Ugh! Dusting is probably one of my least favorite house chores. Dusting ceiling fans, I dread even more! (I admit, I probably only get around to doing this about 4 times a year! YIKES!) But if I have to do it, at least I found a way to do it fast and without making a mess.

I can't remember where I learned to do this, but I take an old pillowcase and wrap it around each fan blade, while wiping the dust off. The dust falls inside the pillowcase, instead of all over the floor and couch and when I'm done, I just throw the pillowcase in the washer. It's seriously so easy, I'm done in 5-minutes or less!

3 fans x 5 minutes each x 4 times a year= 1 hour of dusting ceiling fans a year! That totally works for me!

11 comments:

John and Lisa said...

Great idea! I hate dusting fans- but I really need to. I will have to try this.

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

I hate dusting fans too. What bugs me is that it doesn't seem to be just dust--it's greasy dust. Not sure how that happens in the living room, but it tends to take several wipes to get the fan clean. But this is a good idea for keeping the dust off everything else while you're cleaning!

Lana said...

Uauuughgh! I hate ceiling fan dusting! People who come over to our house, I pray never touch the switch that makes the ceiling fans go the opposite direction. We are talking major dust! lol. :)

Thanks for the great tip.

Unknown said...

That's a wonderful tip! Mine need cleaning badly, so I foresee using your tip in the very near future. ;)

The last time I cleaned them, it sent my husband into an asthma attack that night. Hoping this eliminates most of the flying dust!

Lainie said...

Genius! I just cleaned mine but I will be trying this next time!

Thanks

Veggiemomof2 said...

I thank you SO much for this tip! I need to clean mine so badly but didn't know how to do it without knocking it all off into my face, making me sick.

I could just hug you to death! :)

Unknown said...

I was just pondering the wads of dust on my fans today. Great tip!

Dana M said...

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful comments! They are very much appreciated!

(And I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone in the whole Hating-to-Clean-Ceiling-Fans issue!!!)

Welcome! said...

I really needed that particular idea. Thank you for posting it!

MamaHen Em said...

What a great idea. I usually just wait until summer when I turn them back on and then showers of dust fall on my head. Then I vaccum and take a shower. Hee hee!

Unknown said...

This is a really, really great idea : ). Love it!