Wednesday, September 24, 2008

WFMW: Vinegar Household Cleaner



Hello World! So this is my first post and first time participating in Works-for-Me Wednesday! Big day for me, huh?

Let's get two things out on the table right now: 1) I hate spending money on household cleaners. 2) I hate that chemical smell that household cleaners have.

My alternative: I clean with distilled white vinegar. It's cheap and very effective. (I still suffer with an unpleasant smell when I clean, but at least I know it's chemical-free!)

For an all-purpose cleaner, I pour 2-cups distilled white vinegar and 2-cups water into a spray bottle.

Out of curiosity, I googled what other things you can do with vinegar and I found this helpful website. Here are just a few of the tips that it mentioned:

Make your own scouring cleanser by combining 1/4 cup baking soda with 1 tablespoon liquid detergent. Add just enough white distilled vinegar to give it a thick but creamy texture.

Clean the microwave by mixing 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a rolling boil inside the microwave. Baked-on food will be loosened, and odors will disappear. Wipe clean.

Clean the shelves and walls of the refrigerator with a half-and-half solution of water and white distilled vinegar.

Remove soap buildup and odors from the dishwasher by pouring a cup of white distilled vinegar inside the empty machine and running it through a whole cycle. Do monthly.

Cleaning made easy and with less chemicals...that's what works for me!

2 comments:

christina said...

you can add a few drops of TEA TREE Oil to the vineger mixture, this helps kill more bacteria and it helps with the smell!

Dana M said...

Thanks, Christina! I'll definitely have to try that! Do you use vinegar to clean your house, too?